Monday, July 26, 2010

A yucky fast food veggie burger

My friend wanted to go to Burger King while we were out today. I'm not a huge fast food fan, but it had been quite awhile since I had been to one, so I agreed to it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offer a BK Veggie Burger (made by Morningstar Farms) on their menu!

Just for kicks, and as someone who is not a vegetarian but is rather experimenting in the vegetarian lifestyle (find out why over at my yoga blog), I decided to give it a try. I haven't met a veggie burger that I just love, so I had it piled high with lettuce, ketchup, tomatoes and pickles to help cover up the flavor.

Doesn't look so bad, as far as fast food goes...

I HATED it.

Apparently no amount of condiments and veggies could cover up the flavor. Maybe it's just me, but veggie burgers, made mostly with mushroom filler, are just plain nasty. For like an hour afterwards I was trying to get the taste out of my mouth!

Oh well, I have had some tasty successes so far, so one failure does not discourage me!

Anyone had a veggie burger that didn't taste like a giant slab of fungus?

2 comments:

  1. I love the Morning Star Spicy Black Bean Burgers. I always melt swiss cheese on top, and I put tomatoes, lettuce, and mayo on a bun or toast. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Melissa22 Aha! I think a burger made of black beans and not mushrooms is the way to go for me! I have had soy burgers which were okay, I really think it is my extreme aversion to mushrooms that has turned me off of veggie burgers. Morningstar is very reasonably priced, so I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete