Monday, July 26, 2010

Grilled Veggie Sandwiches

Okay so technically I didn't grill these...I don't have a grill. But I did create a very decent sandwich with a grilled "feel". I found this recipe on a random recipe website, but tweaked it to make it my own; pretty much what I do with anything I cook.

Also, just so you know, I don't measure anything. Which is why you usually won't see measurements when I list ingredients! For example, this recipe called for 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, so I used, what I call, a "plop" of Hain Safflower Mayo.

And here we go....

I started with mixing the mayo spread while I got the bread started toasting. A simple mixture of said mayo, 3 cloves garlic (my best food friend) and a squirt of lemon juice.


Then chop-chop the veggies, I used a zucchini, a red bell pepper, and a red onion.

(I know, I know, there is a summer squash in this picture. I ended up not using it because it looked a little questionably old and funny on the inside. The zucchini alone was plenty)

Sauteed the veggies in a little olive oil and salt until just starting to brown:
Spread the mayo mix on the toasted bread, layer with veggies and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Bake on 450 for about 5 minutes. And voila, you have four open-face sandwiches or two humongous and hearty sandwiches. I chose the latter:

I think that without the garlic-lemon mayo, this sandwich would not have done it for me. But it turned out tasty, fell apart a little too easily, but all in all was filling and did its job!

Still taking suggestions for easy and cheap veggie meals! Thanks for everyone's feedback so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment